Trees need pruning for a number of reasons:
- Safety – remove dead, diseased, or damaged limbs and branches
- Improve the health of the tree by insuring a strong trunk with sturdy, well-spaced branches
- Reduce crowding of branches, eliminate rubbing limbs, and reduce the weight of heavy limbs
- Increase light and air penetration to the inside of the tree’s crown or to the landscape below
- Maintain a balanced or desirable form of the tree by removing rogue or malformed branches
- Reduce leaf area to prevent wind damage (see image)
Please click the image for a larger image.
The photo gallery below shows photos of two trees before and after pruning. The reduced crowding of the tree branches are clearly visible.
Pruning of a Pin Oak before and after